" Development "

How to make your own Open Source Microlight (OSM/OSM2) Programmer Cable

If you didn’t already know, this past year (2015), has been very good for anybody interested in microlights (gloving) because last year we saw the release of the brand new Open Source Microlight, thanks to the one and only Ramiro Montes De Oca.  With the original OSM being so popular on Kickstarter, the release of the OSM2 was not far behind the original.  So of course you know I had to pre-order a set of the OSM2 immediately once I found out … and thankfully Ramiro is very active on the OSM Mode Swap facebook group, and after shipping out the first set of OSM2’s, he let everyone know that there was going to be a slight delay on shipments as he ran out of programmers for them, but if you had one already, he could ship out your chips.  Well … being the junkie and geek that I am, I didn’t want not having a programmer to stop me, so I set out on a mission to figure out how to build my own programmer, and here’s how I did it… (more…)

Using Grunt with grunt-replace to replace handlebars/mustache with package.json variables

Recently while testing out some Node.js modules for Grunt I came across grunt-replace, and my first though was, this would be great for setting up boilerplate PHP files for my WordPress plugins.  Because I already set the name, slug, version, and other details in the  package.json file, it would be great to use a template I could create for PHP files and just use Grunt to take the details from   package.json  and setup my base plugin files using a template syntax like Handlebars or Mustache.  Luckily for me it worked out perfectly, but did require a little bit of troubleshooting and head scratching, but here’s how to make it work … (more…)

How to use placeholder with Select2 and WordPress with wp_dropdown_categories

Recently while working on a site I had an issue with getting a placeholder to show up while using WordPress built in wp_dropdown_categories and Select2. The fix was pretty easy with a little bit of jQuery, which you can see below: (more…)

Perl CPAN DBD::mysql error “FAILED–Further testing stopped” after upgrading Watch MySQL (XSLoader.pm, libmysqlclient.so)

I recently ran into an issue with Perl connecting to MySQL after upgrading a plugin for cPanel/WHM called Watch MySQL. After going through the logs files I determined the error was with a missing dependency file XSLoader.pm and libmysqlclient.so. The problem actually ended up being that those files were not installed because the Perl CPAN upgrade for DBD::mysql failed. After some research it was actually very easy to fix … (more…)